-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Northwest Flower and Garden Show Part One: The Skybridge

Contrary to the highly urbane and terribly sophisticated  image you may have of me,  (yeah, right) I'm pretty much a small town homebody so navigating the big city of Seattle can be quite a harrowing experience for this simple hayseed.  The traffic on the way was just fine but when I got to the convention center, today's destination, the parking garage was full so I parked in a nearby garage.  In cities, these openings in the sides of buildings seem to magically appear with parking signs on them.  I drove into the next such rabbit hole I found and as I went further and further up the levels of the parking structure the ceilings seemed to be getting shorter and shorter.  I drive a small car but I was ducking in hopes of avoiding the ceiling when it would undoubtedly shave the top of the car off.  The air in this particular structure was exceptionally stagnant and warm. The concrete surface beneath was smooth and shiny from so much wear while the walls and ceilings were all sprayed with white foam insulation which had turned dark gray from  many years of accumulated exhaust.  I've never actually had a panic attack before but the lack of parking on the first six floors along with the magically shrinking ceiling caused me to say calming things to myself.  Did I take the wrong pill or go through an incorrect door?  Wondering to which circle of hell I had been delivered I finally found parking on the seventh level.  To help you visualize, I've included this map.
 
I was able to locate elevators with a dearth of information as to locations of things like streets posted anywhere.  Yes, a sensible person would assume that  if he entered on level one, that would be where he would want to return on the elevator but there was a sign on level 3 about a hotel entrance and after surviving the parking ordeal, 'twas  difficult to properly regulate one's thoughts.  There was a woman, only a few years my senior who was also playing elevator games and looking as befuddled as I felt.  It was incredibly nice not to feel so alone in my inability to figure out the labyrinthine complexity of  Wonderland or Dante's Inferno whichever this was.  Fortunately a very nice young woman, coffee in hand, saw us and taking pity said, "Oh, I'll help you folks."  She pushed the right button, gave us a few directions and led us out into the light.  Ah, fresh(ish) air and light.  We beheld, once again, the sky.
 
Now, someone of my age who takes a daily water pill, has just made a long hour's journey into night, battled his way, with the help of a coffee-bearing guardian angel, back into the light and walked to his final destination will most likely be looking for a restroom sign.  Being unable to locate any such handy signage I decided that If I simply rode the escalators around for a while I'd eventually spot something resembling a mens room.  Shortly after I began contemplating possible  receptacles and visually scanning for dark corners, a restroom sign appeared.  Was this a miracle like the elevator angel or simply a mirage?  We'll hope that it was the former as if it were not, there's a puddle somewhere in the Seattle Convention Center.
 
Whew!  Parking, check, john trek, check. Now, If one buys a multi day pass online, (s)he cannot simply go to the ticket area and present said ticket.  No my friends, technology has not yet advanced that far.  Instead, (s)he must find will call which is far removed from the ticket counter and the entrance to the event,  present the aforementioned pre-purchased and printed ticket and receive in exchange, a ticket printed on card stock.  I've navigated airports in many large and even foreign cities with ease.  Finding will call was not as difficult as the Montreal airport in the late seventies but is was a little confusing. Fortunately, the convention center and the event were so well staffed with wonderful, kind, and helpful folks that I eventually found it, got my new card stock ticket and headed into the show. 
 
Why would one do this to himself, you may ask?  Well, for the joy of being amongst lots of other passionate gardeners, seeing amazing gardens and vendors, and experiencing inspiring presentations at The Northwest Flower and Garden Show, the second largest such show in the nation. Upon entering, one is transported to a magical place full of great ideas, people and plants! 
 
There is a skybridge that links two huge rooms containing the large show gardens and various vendors.  The gardens in the Small Space Showcase on the skybridge are often  among my favorites; maybe because of the abundance of natural light, maybe the smaller size makes them feel more like rooms that could be added to my own garden. 
 
We sometimes wonder about where other bloggers might be writing their posts.  I visualize Ms. Danger working in this chartreuse and orange office by Ravenna Gardens called, "2013: A Plant Odessey."
 The theme of the show was "Gardens Go Hollywood" thus the movie references.
 Eliza Dolittle?  Audrey Hepburn?  "On the Street Where You Live" by Sunnyside Nursery
 These Fabulous metal pots by Steve Farris are truly drool worthy!  The compostition was called "Spring"  One enjoys a good clean double entendre!

 
 I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too!

"Jurassic Park" by West Seattle Nursery got an award for best plant material.  Love the tree ferns and cordylines!

 "Electro-cute"...Salvaged objects take charge by Artistic Garden concepts.  The metal mesh planters on top with footed bowls of lighted glass balls made me want to run home and make some for my garden!

Dean Tile created "The Emerald City" a fabulous mosaic "rug" graces the floor. 

 
A Nook Beneath the Eaves by Condina Ceramics Studio was eye catching!  
 
 
 The repeated circle/oval motif, limited color palette, and whimsey make this very interesting and fun!
 
 Love this ceramic pavement idea but have a feeling that these need to be affixed to concrete to keep them from breaking under foot traffic.    Remember, these are fantasy gardens.

 
Codina Ceramics Studio also had a presence in the vendor area so that you can enjoy some of this light hearted fun in your own garden!


 
Here's Leslie Codina the creator of all of this cool work!
 There are lots more wonderful gardens and ideas from the NWFGS to share  in future posts.   Happy garden show season everyone!

21 comments:

  1. You have seen the light and almost had me calling for Xanax! Fantastic tour. Love the recycled stuff, the orange, the whimsical Codina Ceramics!

    The succulent tipsy pots are a version of the trend I would do in my own garden. I've already pinned some of your photos.

    When I was designing public spaces, I was the signage police. Testing the signage placement was tops on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great show! Today I went back to meet a couple blogger pals and was able to park in the convention center parking lot. What a tremendous difference. There were color and letter coded walkways, level numbers, parking space numbers, and ample signage. The ease of access to everythig from this parking area was amazing. Lesson for next time: get to the convention center early! On the other hand several years ago I attnded a national convention there, found free parking and walked up to the front doors and that was fabulous, too.

      Glad you enjoyed this little taste of the NWFGS!

      Delete
  2. I'm sat here trying to absorb as many ideas I can borrow from all those photos, an idea here, idea there....

    That's why I love attending flower shows and looking at photos of those that we couldn't attend, there's always something nice to see and inspiration to be had :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It' also to see the same show through many lenses. I've seen in some other posts details and whole garden ideas that I totaly overlooked. Such fun!

      Delete
  3. I love garden shows. There are many, many cool ideas there. Love all the recycled things. Some look like they could be in a Dr. Suess garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden shows are great fun! I usually only go once but am very glad that I went twice this year. There is a lot to take in in just one visit. Recycled things are great fun!

      Delete
  4. How can we begin to thank you for throwing yourself into the jaws of the evil parking structure so that we layabouts can experience the show second-hand? Those colorful totems are a bit much en masse, but a single one could sure bring life to a dull corner. Double entendres are hardly ever good OR clean, but you did find one. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well gosh ma'am, a gardener's got to do what a gardener's got to do. It's my honor to serve layabouts everywhere since for the most part I am one myself. I don' think I could pull off one or more of those totems in my garden because it really needs a little blank space around it and here, it'd be covered in some plant or other fairly quickly. Really it was moe of a play on words than a double entendre but when I was writing at 2:00a.m. (long story) it seemed to make sense.

      Delete
  5. Even though I had already heard the tale of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror parking garage from your own lips, I still laughed at your telling of it here! I so enjoyed meeting you today at the show, you're such a fun guy! Great pictures of the small space gardens too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alison, the pleaure was mine! You are lots of fun and, as you well know, pointed out some way cool things about the show that had totally escaped my notice. I look forward to our next excursion together. (Blodel sale is in April I think.)

      Delete
  6. I have not once been to a garden show. We have one here in Chicago. The Seattle show certainly has lots of cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shows like that can be kind of overwhelmig with the high volume of stuff and people but are full of great ideas and even some plants!

      Delete
  7. Like Alison I enjoyed your description of the parking nightmare but it was even funnier to read about it. I only wish I blogged at a desk as cook as the Ravenna Gardens display! Especially with the sliding glass door.

    Love your recap, between you and Alison I feel like I don't even need to post! It was so fun to hang out with you guys, I hope I didn't talk your ears off at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it wasn't too off-putting. It was delightful, as always, to see you today!
      Hearing different voices and seeing through dfferent lenses is part of the joy of the various show recaps. Can't wait to hear your impressions!

      Delete
    2. Loree, not at all! Besides I am always grateful for someone capable of following up my inarticulate inanities with intelligent conversation! Lunch was a blast!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this lovely tour, Peter! Beautiful!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hartford is a cow town compared to Seattle and we had a similiarly frustrating experience in the parking garage at the convention center trying to get to the CT Flower and Garden Show yesterday. I wasn't driving so I I'll refrain from laughing but will also refrain from rereading your account with a full bladder.

    Our show is nowhere near as elaborate (only one installment for me) but still worth a trip. Someday I'll have to get out to one of the west coast garden show extravaganzas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the second day I went to the show, the convention center parking garage was not yet full and it made a tremendous difference! letter, number and even color coded spaces with coordinatingly colored walkways which all led to the correct etrance to the event that made a lot more sense than the other way I learned.

      It would be great to see you and the other Idyll gang members at the Seattle show some year!

      Delete
  10. This was such a fun post to read! Bravo! I really enjoyed seeing these 'small space' garden designs. I wish PDX would add something akin, as the idea's are much more reasonable for the average gardener to envision or be inspired by for their own gardens. Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Jenni! I'm going to have to go to the Portland show next year as it looks really cool!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.